These Homemade Christmas Crayons are so much fun. Whether you want to make them with your kids for them to enjoy making their own crayons during the holiday season, or to print our free printable gift tags to make and gift these to your child’s classmates or friends, everyone will love these fun homemade crayons. You can use new crayons, or you can use old crayons or broken crayons, for a great way to use up those small pieces of crayon that aren’t too good for coloring with anymore. It only takes a few simple steps to make this fun project. You could even make these as party favors for a kid-friendly Christmas party.
Homemade Christmas Crayon Supplies:
Crayons– We used a 96 ct. Box of crayola crayons. You can also use old or broken crayons. This box made about 6 crayons, but you could make a lot more if you mix colors together.
The Christmas Tree Mold – there are a lot of silicone molds to pick from, but we used this one.
Treat Bags for Gifting– we used these simple cellophane treat bags to make our gift bags for the crayons.
Scissors & a Hole Punch (optional)- if you are gifting these, you’ll need scissors and a hole punch of you have one on hand.
Twine or Ribbon – for tying up the cello bags.
Have a Colorful Christmas Printable Tags– see how to download down below in the post! You’ll want to print 6-8 tags, cut them out, and hole punch the hole for the twine or ribbon
How to Make Christmas Tree Crayons
1. Preheat the oven
To make the Christmas tree crayons, start by preheating your oven to 250 degrees, and sorting your crayons by color group- reds, oranges, blues, purples, pinks, and greens, etc…
2. Prepare the crayons
Remove the wrappers from your crayons and break them into 3-4 pieces each (if you aren’t using broken crayons)
3. Add the crayons to the mold
Add the like color crayon pieces to the same tree mold. Mix them just a little so you get the different shades coming through.
4. Melt the crayons
Once the molds are filled, place onto a cookie sheet, and pop into the oven. Heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until all of the crayons have melted.
5. Allow the crayons to cool
Carefully remove the crayons from the oven and allow the crayons to cool completely.
6. Remove the crayons
Once the crayons have cooled completely, you can remove them from the mold.
7. Make your gifts
To put together your gift bags, print and cut out enough tags, add 2 crayons to a cello treat bag, and cut a piece of twine to tie a bow on the bags. Add your gift tags and tie a bow to tie up your gifts.
How to Download the Free Printable Tags
Sign up for our email list below for the printable tags download.
Tips & Tricks:
- If you don’t want to sort your crayons by shades of the same color, you can use any combination of different colors to make multi-color crayons. Red, green, and white would make a fun combination for Christmas trees!
- We used name brand crayons for this project (Crayola), I’m not sure if a different brand of crayons would work as well.
- Use different shaped silicone molds to create different crayon shapes- snowflake crayons would be so cute!
- Soak the crayons in warm water for 10-15 minutes to make the wrappers easier to remove.
These DIY crayons are so much fun to make, and color with. Your kiddos will love this fun Christmas craft that doubles as a gift for friends!
If you enjoyed this fun idea, check out these other Christmas DIYs & activities-
These Printable Christmas Placemats are perfect for setting out Santa’s treats.
Try this Homemade Gingerbread Playdough, there are some free printable gingerbread playdough mats, as well.
Make this fun Gingerbread Playdough in a Jar Gift (with printable gift tags!)
- 96 ct. Box of crayola crayons
- Cello treat bags
- Twine for tying the bags
- Have a Colorful Christmas printable tags
- Christmas tree mold
- Hole punch
- To make the Christmas tree crayons, start by preheating your oven to 250 degrees, and sorting your crayons by color group- reds, oranges, blues, purples, pinks, and greens, etc…\
- Remove the wrappers from your crayons and break them into 3-4 pieces each, adding the like colors to the same tree mold.Mix them just a little so you get the different shades coming through.
- Heat in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until all of the crayons have melted.
- Remove from the oven and allow the crayons to cool completely.
- To put together your gift bags, print and cut out enough tags, add 2 crayons to a cello treat bag, and cut a piece of twine to tie a bow on the bags. Add your gift tags and tie a bow to tie up your gifts.