This 4th of July Fruit Salad is a great recipe for your July 4th menu, Memorial Day weekend, or even Labor Day. It makes the perfect side dish for all of your Summer celebrations.
Here’s why we love this red, white, and blue fruit salad-
- It is full of fresh fruit- including strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon! We also added delicious honey crisp apples cut into tiny white stars.
- The watermelon and apples are cut into star shapes for the perfect delicious salad for your 4th of July celebration.
- This festive fruit salad makes a great side dish or the perfect patriotic dessert for your Summer picnics, Summer BBQs, or any hot Summer day.
- Fruit salad is a perfect lighter side dish option to have a healthy choice with the rest of your Summer favorites.
Fresh fruit salad has a ton of benefits during Summertime. First, fruits are super hydrating due to their high water content. They are nutrient-rich, high in dietary fiber, and can provide a natural energy boost. These make it the perfect treat to enjoy when the weather is hot outside. This patriotic fruit salad is delicious as-is, but you can always toss the fruit in honey, maple syrup, or a dressing meant for fruit salads- like a honey poppyseed dressing or something similar.
4th of July Fruit Salad Ingredients:
- Strawberries – fresh sliced strawberries- we quartered ours
- Fresh watermelon, sliced and cut into stars
- Fresh blueberries
- Honeycrisp apples
- Lime juice or lemon juice for the apples, to keep them from browning
For full details and amounts, see the recipe card below.
To cut the fruit, you’ll need star cookie cutters. This set of star cookie cutters includes multiple star-shaped cookie cutter sizes to cut the watermelon into different sizes and a we also used this tiny cutter set for the apples, too. This is totally optional but makes this recipe super festive. Amazon is your best bet, but you may find these in your local grocery store close to the holiday.
Optional but recommended: Toss the apple stars in fresh lemon or lime juice to delay oxidation and keep them from turning brown.
Step 1: Prepare the Fruit Salad
To a large serving bowl, add half of the watermelon, then half of the strawberries, half of the blueberries, and half of the apple stars. Repeat the layers, ending with the apple stars again.
Step 2: Enjoy! For best results, serve immediately.
Substitutions & Tips:
- You can use any of your favorite fruit in this salad, but any blue, red, or white fruit will work perfectly- some other great options include red grapes, raspberries, cherries, honeydew melon, pears, white peaches, blackberries, etc..
- Feta cheese would also be a great addition to this fruit salad recipe.
- Store any leftover fruit salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
- Can I prepare this fruit salad ahead of time?
- It’s best to enjoy this salad the day that it is made, but it is better once the fruits have had a chance to meld their flavors, so it’s perfectly fine to make it a few hours ahead and let it chill in the refrigerator. The only risk is the apples may brown, so don’t add those until just before serving. For another way to save time, you can pre-cut the watermelon and strawberries, and keep them refrigerated until time to put everything together.
Save this 4th of July Fruit Salad recipe for later! Click the image below to pin to Pinterest!
We hope you enjoy this Fourth of July Fruit Salad full of the colors of the American flag! It is made with simple ingredients and perfect for the Summer holidays. You might also like these other great recipes-
Red White and Blue Punch – a fun Summer drink made with red white and blue sherbet!
Patriotic Charcuterie Board – the perfect red white and blue snack board for the 4th!
Patriotic Cheesecake Parfaits – another simple easy dessert made with festive red white and blue ingredients.
Patriotic Golden Grahams S’mores Bars – yummy S’mores bars made with golden grahams cereal and red white and blue M&Ms.
Southern 7 Layer Salad – a barbecue side dish favorite!
- 1 lb. strawberries, sliced
- 1 personal watermelon, sliced and cut into stars (about 4 cups)
- 1 pt. Blueberries
- 2 large Honeycrisp apples, sliced and cut into stars
- Optional: Lime or lemon juice for the apples
- Optional but recommended: Toss the apple stars in fresh lemon or lime juice to delay oxidation.
- To a large serving bowl, add half of the watermelon, then half of the strawberries, half of the blueberries, and half of the apple stars. Repeat the layers, ending with the apple stars again.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.